Green Willow Funerals was first conceived by John Bettles, the then Chief Executive to both Cardiff YMCA and Cardiff YMCA Housing Association, following the death of his mother in 1991. It is owned by the Cardiff YMCA (1910) Trust who receive the profits annually. The company actually functioned for several months from the YMCA premises. Cardiff at that time had only one independent funeral director. The first funeral was on May 23rd 1997 at St Augustine's Church, Rumney, followed by burial at the Duke of Westminster's Estate, Ecclestone, Cheshire the next day. On obtaining rented premises in Pillmawr Road, Malpas, Newport, our first funeral home opened in July 1997.